Friday 18 April 2008

I was right!

I got my records from the hospital today.

I was looking through the (very few) notes about the labor/birth. It mentioned Ray's head being "asynclitic" before we did the c-section.

(Asynclitic usually meaning the head is tilted slightly, more generally it can even mean breech or posterior. Basically anything that may not be considered conducive to an easy labor, and contributes to dystocia.)

I've been wondering about this recently. Ray had a welt on his head after he was born, which scabbed over. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures on here or I'd show you. We did try the vacuum, and it popped off three times. It can be assumed that it was from the vacuum. Normally, the flat part of the top of your head, towards the back, is what presents first. The welt on Ray's head was behind and just above his ear. That's a serious tilt.

What could have been done? Alot. :( For starters, moving during the labor, as I wanted to. Walking, hip swaying/shaking, bouncing on the birthing ball, lunges. Also, not breaking my water. If the baby is not in a good position when it's done, breaking it can sometimes seal them in that unfavorable position. It's still possible for them to shift, but it's not as easy. (Not to mention the more obvious risk of cord prolapse if the baby is not "engaged" in the pelvis.)

Mostly? Just not being induced to begin with. *sigh*

ETA: An interesting article on spinningbabies.com on asynclitism in labor and what can be done to help.

2 comments:

dhdichdb said...

*HUGS*

My mother once told me that in order to keep us out of trouble, men got the brawn and women got the gut. Men can fight their way out of a bad situation. Women, when they listen to their gut, avoid the bad situation beforehand.

Conclusion? Follow your gut, it will never steer you wrong.

I am finding that this is very true.

LOVES!!!!

Stassja said...

Gotta love the gut. :) You're right, I should have listened to my gut. I so did not want an induction, and all the things I worried might happen if I had one (as they so often do with inductions) did happen. It was a textbook snowball effect.

I saw an interesting thing on Oprah a while back (it's rare I watch it, I PROMISE!!!) about fear, and trusting your intuition that something isn't right. The professor or doctor or whatever that she was interviewing said that human beings are the only creatures that will sense danger, or feel fear, and still go into a situation. You get an uneasy feeling about the one man on an elevator, but you say "Nah!" and jump on anyhow. Why do we do that? We're crazy!